Reactor™ 40 Mechanical/Retrofit/Solenoid Corepack Without GHC™ 20
Our Most Responsive Autopilot System on the Water
- Solid-state 9-axis Attitude Heading Reference System (AHRS)
- Minimizes heading error, course deviation, rudder movement and power consumption while providing a comfortable ride
- Minimal commissioning and calibration
- Supports heading hold, wind hold, step turns and tack/jibe modes
- Requires a compatible Garmin chartplotter
With a complete package designed for powerboats and sailboats, Garmin brings an advanced marine technology to the boating public that was once only available for commercial boats. The Reactor 40 autopilot series is simply the most responsive autopilot system we have ever offered.
Reactor 40 autopilots are very versatile. Both powerboat and sailing features are available in all corepacks, including heading hold, wind hold, tack/jibe, step turns and more; simply pick the autopilot that’s compatible with your existing steering system. If you don’t see a compatible Reactor 40, you’ll find the Reactor 40 mechanical/retrofit/solenoid is compatible with a wide variety of steering systems, whether hydraulic, cable drive, mechanical and solenoid. Just pair GRF™ 10 with your drive system already on board.
The Reactor 40 mechanical/retrofit/solenoid autopilot corepack is ideal for sailboats and powerboats with direct or cable-actuated steering systems¹. This Reactor 40 below-deck autopilot system gives captains that “extra set of hands” they need so you can safely attend to your sails, lines, winches and radios, without worry. With its solid-state 9-axis AHRS, Reactor 40 mounts anywhere, in any orientation and requires minimal commissioning.
Solid-state 9-axis AHRS
With its advanced solid-state 9-axis AHRS, you can mount Reactor 40 nearly anywhere, in any orientation. In addition, this new system greatly minimizes heading error, course deviation, rudder movement and power consumption while providing a comfortable ride for all on board.
Reacts to Conditions
This amazing autopilot actually reacts to the sea to hold your course. Even when the boat is pitching and rolling, you can remain confident that the Reactor 40 autopilot will keep you on your desired course.
Minimal Commissioning and Calibration
All autopilots require commissioning and calibration — all of them. We know you just want to get on the water, so we made this process as fast and easy as possible. That’s the power of simple.
Full Integration with Garmin Chartplotters
Combined with a compatible Garmin networked chartplotter, you can have full control of Reactor 40 from wherever you are on the boat. In addition to holding its course in virtually all weather and wind conditions, the system can smoothly perform a variety of preprogrammed trolling and search procedures. Plus, with a compatible Garmin networked chartplotter and BlueChart® g2 Vision® charts (sold separately), you gain optional features such as Auto Guidance², which automatically steers GPS paths.
Stay in Control with Shadow Drive™ Technology
On hydraulic installations, the Reactor 40 mechanical/retrofit/solenoid autopilot corepack can add optional patented Shadow Drive technology. This gives you the security of knowing you maintain control, even when the autopilot is engaged. The Shadow Drive system automatically disengages the autopilot if the helm is turned, giving you the freedom to maneuver the boat. The autopilot automatically re-engages when you hold a steady course.
Choose from 3 Class Drives
Reactor 40 is available with 3 linear drives (sold separately) capable of driving many different steering systems on most midsize to large vessels (depending on the particular installation). All Garmin linear drives include built-in rudder feedback sensing.
- Class A Drive Unit — up to 28,500 lbs of displacement
- Class B Compact Drive Unit — up to 48,400 lbs of displacement
- Class B Drive Unit — up to 79,000 lbs of displacement
Add Even More Peace of Mind
Add an optional GRF 10 rudder feedback sensor, and you can further enhance the performance of your Reactor 40 autopilot.
¹Compatible Garmin chartplotter required
²Auto Guidance is for planning purposes only and does not replace safe navigation operations
- CCU dimensions: 4.3 " x 4.4 " x 1.9 " (10.9 x 11.2 x 4.8 cm)
- ECU dimensions: 6.6 " x 4.6 " x 2.1 " (16.8 x 11.7 x 5.3 cm)
- Supply voltage: 10 V to 30 V
- Operating temperature: -15° C to 60 C° (5° F to 140° F)
- Maximum sustained motor current: 15A
- Maximum instantaneous motor current: 40A
- Maximum clutch current: 2.5A (for drives requiring higher current than 2.5A, a relay needs to be added to the clutch circuit)
- Dimensions (L × Diameter): 29/32 in. × 1 in. (23 mm × 25 mm)
- Weight: 2.4 oz. (68 g)
- Temperature range: from 5°F to 131°F (from -15°C to 55°C)
- Cable length: 10 ft. (3.0 m)
In the box
- Reactor 40 CCU (Course Computer Unit)
- GHC™ 20 helm control display
- ECU (Electronic Control Unit)
- ECU power cable
- Interconnect cable
- NMEA 2000® drop cables (2 meters)
- NMEA 2000 T-connectors
- Male and female terminators